Monday, April 14, 2008

Gotcha!!!!

This is a long one so hang in there - I just have so much to tell and say!

Yesterday the new family came in and they are great!! I was so excited to see them I was like a little kid on Christmas!! Just so giddy to spend time with people who spoke English and could relate to what I am doing. We went to dinner and talked for a least an hour! After our wonderful chicken schnitzel dinner I showed them around a little. I took them to the grocery store and then showed them were the little like convenient store was. I am truly glad they are here and they are willing to help me out in anyway!!

After spending time with the other family I came back to my room, watched a movie and TRIED to sleep. Sleeping was like almost impossible. Honestly I think I slept a couple of hours before I was like, why even try anymore. The second I got up I was an emotional mess. The reality of finally getting my little guy forever and ever was here! I was so happy, nervous, anxious and scared all at the same time. I hoped that he felt comfortable enough with me that turning his world upside down would not be too much of an overload for him.

I was picked up a little after 9:00am and we (Lena one of the translators and I) went to meet Galina (CHI rep in Astrakhan - Love her!) at the Registrar's Office. This is where I get LP's birth certificate with Luke and I listed as his parents. Once we got to the office, I waited in another room, while Galina took care of business. Then there was a problem. There was a issue concerning one of the court documents. Apparently the court had LP registered in the wrong place. I really don't understand it all. All I know is Galina had to run down to the court house and get the document fixed so I could get his birth certificate. So while Galina was running around, Lena and I went to get some diapers for LP. We also went to a store to get some chocolates, cakes, coffee and tea for the orphanage caretakers and director. Let me just say this first - EVERYBODY walks here. There are a lot of people who drive, but I think for the most part people walk. It is just what they do. We as Americans are just so used to walking out the front door getting into our cars and driving everywhere! Not here. So when Lena said the store was up the street I knew I was in for hike. THE STORE WAS LIKE 4 MILES AWAY!!! Yes I should not complain as I need the exercise but round trip that is like 8 miles!! But anyway I miss my car!!

Galina was able to get the document fixed and we were in business!! We got his birth certificate and were on our way to get LP. Once we got the orphanage we went into the directors office and presented her with cakes and chocolate. I gave the clothes for LP to wear to Galina so she could take them to his room so they could change him.

We went over some paperwork and then signed some more papers. The director is such a wonderful lady. She asked me if I had any questions and then my tears just started coming. I thanked her and her staff for taking care of my little guy until I got there. I thanked her for giving me the two best kids a mom could ask for and I was glad that both my kids came from the her orphanage. I thanked them for showing LP their love and I promised that I would be the best mom to him!

I am so grateful to everyone involved who made this happen. Thank you will never be enough and all the hard work and effort are appreciated!!

While all this was taking place LP came in and I could tell he was already taken back by everything. But he came right too me and just wanted to be held tight!! We took a couple of pictures, one with the director and one with his caretaker. Then they gave me a list of his schedule and what he eats. After that we were ready to leave. I picked up my little boy and was so proud to take him away that I cried all the way the car. I don't know if I will ever be able to explain what it feels like to take a child away from an orphanage (not that the orphanage is terrible by any means). But what it feels like to know that you are going to love and be able to give this child a family!!!

LP was pretty scared during the car ride. Apparently they said the only time kids at the orphanage ride in cars is when they have to be taken to the hospital. But I just held him tight so he knew I would take care of him. We got back to the hotel and he was just so curious about everything!! He follows me everywhere calling for me "Mama, Mama, Mama". He has no idea how to drink out of a sippie cup. He does not get that he has to suck, so in the mean time, we are using a cup. He ate a good lunch, played with some blocks and then waited for the hotel to bring up a crib. He was not ready to go down for a nap. It took a while but I didn't give in. Right now, my LP is soundly sleeping. Once he gets up I think I am going to take him for a little stroll outside.

I know you all are wanting to see pictures but I am having a problem trying to attach them. I will try again later but in the mean time enjoy Monday!!

Love !! Jennifer & LP

6 comments:

Wade and Amy Williams said...

That story brings tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you!!! I can't wait to see pictures!!! I leave for Astrakhan on Friday; well, leave here Fri, land in Moscow Sat, fly from Moscow to Astrakhan Sunday. Do you know if you will still be there on Sunday? My e-mail is watj@sbcglogal.net CONGRATULATIONS!

Anonymous said...

JEN!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! After all of the trials and tribulations throughout this amazing journey, you finally have your son, and what a wonderful and amazing story. It brought tears to my eyes. I know you have got to be the proudest mom in the world right now-and we are so incredibly happy for you, Luke, Natalya, and Vlad. Please give him a kiss and a hug from the Aschenbrenner's, and welcome little Vladamir (sp?) Main to the family for us. HE'S A DOLL!
Love you guys!
xo,
Angie

Anonymous said...

Good to talk with you this morning. You made peanuts day. She told Ms Tony at school all about brudder and how Moma is still in Russia. I can't believe you finally have him. FINALLY. Will talk with you later. Love and miss you.


Luke and Natalya

Matt said...

Congratulations! And now for a new kind of "fun". He looks as cute as he did when we saw him last time. He's got that same look in his eyes that Alex had. Deer in the headlights. It's frustrating trying to re-assure him that all is well when you can't communicate very well but rest assured he'll get the message in time. Galina is great. Must say the Russian side of CHI is very good. Makes up for the US side ;-) So glad there are other US couples there. It's really hard if you're alone. 8 miles - I would have been a puddle of sweat.

Anonymous said...

Congrats.

Now you have a son!!! What a wonderful day for you!!

CAn't wait to meet him and squeeze those chubby cheeks.

Sunday was very good, long but good. It was sad not to see Natalya and Luke yesterday.
But I totally understand.

Later

Unknown said...

COngratulations Luke and Jen!! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to come and see you guys and meet LP!!

Take care!

Delyn